Covered Bridges

Covered bridges evoke a simpler, kinder time in America, a time of friendly small towns, wooded country roads, trickling streams, flowing rivers, and families unpacking a picnic basket at a table in the shade of the covered bridge. Nothing is more photogenic than a covered bridge framed by autumn leaves.

In the winter, workers would often "snow" the bridges for uninterrupted sleigh rides. Historically, covered bridges have been called "kissing" or "wishing" bridges because young couples used to steal a kiss or make a wish before entering a new bridge for the first time. The bridge was roofed to protect the wood and timbers from rotting. People were not to drive or ride over the bridges faster than a walk (about 3 to 4 miles per hour) and smoking was prohibited.

While these covered bridges were primary routes in the late 1800's, they've been bypassed by modern roads and highways. Seek out the bridges - and the beautiful small towns that are still alive and thriving today; below are thirteen bridges in Bucks County, five in the Lehigh Valley, and one in Hunterdon County - the single remaining covered bridge in New Jersey.

Bucks County Covered Bridges

Cabin Run Covered Bridge

Cabin Run Covered Bridge Bucks County PA
This bridge spans Cabin Run Creek, named for the many small houses along its banks in the 1800's. It is on Covered Bridge Road in Plumstead Township, downstream from Loux Covered Bridge and near the historic Stover-Myers Mill.

Built: 1871
Height Limit: 11 ft 10 in
Width Limit: 15 ft
Length: 82 feet
Weight Limit: 3 tons

Erwinna Covered Bridge

Erwinna Covered Bridge Bucks County PA
This bridge spans Lodi Creek and is on Geigel Hill road in Tinicum. It is a good example of lattice-type construction, and is the shortest covered bridge in the county.

Built: 1871 (National Historic Register), or 1832 (County Records)
Height Limit: 11 ft
Width Limit: 15 ft
Length: 56 feet
Weight Limit: 29 tons

Frankenfield Covered Bridge

Frankenfield Covered Bridge Bucks County PA
This bridge crosses Tinicum Creek in an area once known for its abundant turtle population. It is located two miles upstream from where the creek enters the Delaware River.

Built: 1872
Height Limit: 11 ft 3 in
Width Limit: 12 ft
Length: 130 feet
Weight Limit: check local posting

Haupts Mill Covered Bridge

Haupt's Mill Covered Bridge Bucks County PA
Also known as Bucks County Bridge No. 212, this bridge crossed Cook's Creek in Springfield Township. It was destroyed by fire in January of 1985.

Built: 1872
Length: 107 feet

Knecht's Covered Bridge

Knecht's  Covered Bridge Bucks County PA
Also known as "Slifer's Bridge." It crosses Durham Creek, formerly known as Cook's Creek. It is located on Knecht's Road in Springfield Township.

Built: 1873
Height Limit: 11 ft 6 in
Width Limit: 15 ft
Length: 110 feet
Weight Limit: 3 tons
Building Material: hemlock

Loux Covered Bridge

Loux Covered Bridge Bucks County PA
This is one of two bridges to span the Cabin Run Creek. It is located in a small scenic valley on Wismer Road in Plumstead Township. It was built at the insistence of local residents who complained about the dangers of crossing the creek.

Built: 1874
Height Limit: 11 ft
Width Limit: 15 ft
Length: 60 feet
Weight Limit: 15 tons
Building Material: hemlock

Mood's Covered Bridge

Moods Covered Bridge Bucks County PA
This bridge crosses the Perkiomen Creek on Blooming Glen Road, East Rockhill Township, Perkasie. The bridge was damaged by trucks in 1993 and 2004, then destroyed by arson on 6/22/2004. As of February 2008, the bridge has been fully restored once again."

Built: 1874
Height Limit: 11 ft 2 in
Width Limit: 15 ft
Length: 120 feet
Weight Limit: check local postings

Pine Valley Covered Bridge

Pine Valley Covered Bridge Bucks County PA
This bridge carries Old Iron Hill Road, New Britain Township, over Pine Run Creek, named after the neighboring trees. It is also known as "Iron Hill Bridge".

Built: 1842
Height Limit: 11 ft 10 in
Width Limit: 15 ft
Length: 82 feet
Weight Limit: check local postings
Building Material: native hemlock and pine

Schofield Ford Covered Bridge

Pine Valley Covered Bridge Bucks County PA
The bridge was destroyed by fire in 1991 but rebuilt according to original specifications (with the addition of a window on each side). This town truss bridge, the longest in Bucks County, is also known as "Twining Ford Bridge." It crosses the Neshaminy Creek in Tyler State Park off Swamp Road in Newtown. It is accessible by foot, bike, or horseback. About 1/4 mile from parking.

Built: 1873, rebuilt in 1997
Height Limit: 13 ft
Width Limit: 16 ft
Length: 170 feet
Building Material: native hemlock and oak

Sheard's Mill Covered Bridge

Schofield Ford Covered Bridge Bucks County PA
This bridge is on Covered Bridge Road between East Rockhill and Haycock Townships. It spans Tochickon Creek. It was built to allow farmers to transport grains to local mills.

Built: 1873
Height Limit: 12 ft 1 in
Width Limit: 15 ft
Length: 130 feet
Weight Limit: see local postings

South Perkasie Covered Bridge

Sheard's Mill Covered Bridge Bucks County PA
This bridge is located in Lenape Park in Perkasie. It once crossed Pleasant Spring Creek, was moved to the park in 1958, and is now owned by the Perkasie Historical Society.

Built: 1832
Width Limit: 15 ft
Length: 93 feet
Weight Limit: no vehicle access
Building Material: pine and oak

Uhlerstown Covered Bridge

Uhlerstown Covered Bridge Bucks County PA
This bridge is located on Uhlerstown Road in Tinicum Township. It crosses the Delaware Canal.

Built: 1871
Height Limit: 11 ft 3 in
Width Limit: 15 ft
Length: 101 feet
Weight Limit: check local postings
Building Material: oak

Van Sant Covered Bridge

Van Sant Covered Bridge Bucks County PA
This bridge crosses Pidcock Creek near Bowman's Hill and the Thompson-Neeley House in Washington Crossing Historic Park. It is also known as "Beaver Dam Bridge." It is located on Covered Bridge Road in Solebury Township.

Built: 1870
Height Limit: 12 ft 6 in
Width Limit: 15 ft
Length: 86 feet
Weight Limit: 7 tons

Hunterdon County Covered Bridge

Green Seargeant's Covered Bridge

Green Seargeant's Covered Bridge Hunterdon County NJ
This bridge crosses Wickecheoke Creek near Stockton, NJ. It is the last covered bridge in the state of New Jersey.

Built: 1872, damaged in 1960, dismantled, then rebuilt from original materials in 1961
Masonry Abutments Built: 1750
Height Limit: 12 ft 6 in
Width Limit: 12 ft
Length: 84 feet
Weight Limit: 8 tons
Usage: westbound traffic only; eastbound uses adjacent single lane concrete bridge.

Lehigh Valley Covered Bridges

Bogert's Covered Bridge

Bogert's Covered Bridge Hunterdon County NJ
Bogert's Bridge was built in 1841-42. It takes its name from the Bogert family. Peter Bogert purchased the land on which the bridge is located in 1744 as part of his farm. Settlers are said to have put stones in the Little Lehigh at that place and used it as a crossing. In the 1760s, a crude log bridge, later replaced by a wooden plank bridge, was built on the site. Today, Bogert's is the oldest covered bridge in Lehigh County and among the oldest in the country. It is open to pedestrian and bicycle traffic only.

Built: 1841-1842
Length: 145 ft
Width: 15 ft

Geiger's Covered Bridge

Geiger's Covered Bridge Hunterdon County NJ
Geiger Covered Bridge is a historic wooden covered bridge crossing Jordan Creek. It has vertical plank siding and an entry portal of stepped square planks.

Built: 1860
Length: 112 ft
Width: 15 ft

Rex Covered Bridge

Geiger's Covered Bridge Hunterdon County NJ
Rex Covered Bridge is a historic wooden covered bridge crossing Jordan Creek. It is on Jordan Road, approximately 1 mile north of Kernsville. It has narrow horizontal siding and a gable roof.

Built: 1858
Length: 116 ft
Width: 17 ft

Schlicher Covered Bridge

Schlicher Covered Bridge Hunterdon County NJ
In 2009 the bridge was closed to traffic, and the replica was opened in 2014.

Built: 1882, rebuilt 2014
Original Length: 108 ft, now longer
Construction Cost: $1.8 million, retaining about 10% of the orginal materials.

Wehr Covered Bridge

Wehr Covered Bridge Hunterdon County NJ
This bridge, which crosses the Jordan Creek, was damaged in 2014 by an overweight truck. It was closed for several days, and the weight limit was reduced to 8,000 lbs.

Built: 1841
Length: 117 ft

     photos           video     
     photos           video     
     photos     
     photos     
     video     
     coupon           photos           videos     
WITH THIS COUPON
20% off your first month
School of Rock - Doylestown
135 South Main Street
Doylestown, PA 18901
215-230-3406
http://doylestown.schoolofrock.com/
Coupons may not be combined.
Not valid with other offers or prior purchases.
Printed online at MontgomeryCountyAlive.com.

-Print Coupon

©2017 BucksCountyAlive.com. All rights reserved.
Redistribution of coupons in printed or electronic form is prohibited.

     video     
     photos           video     
     video     
     photos